Can virtual currency survive a rough start to 2018?

Discussion in 'Cryptocurrency' started by twhiting9275, Feb 1, 2018.

1. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    It looks like 2018 is starting out to be a tough year for cryptocurrency (or virtual currency as a whole).

To start the year off, China banned bitcoin mining . Then, we have Coincheck getting hacked , costing over $500 million, and today, we have Facebook saying "No more ads" . Considering that Bitcoin's value has taken a rather sizable tumble in the past month, it might just be that 2018 is the year that Bitcoin and virtual currency go by the wayside? What do you think?

2. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    Fortunately I pulled most of my money out of bitcoin (which was less than $1500) when it dropped past $14,000 <-> 1 BTC, I have put some of it back in when it bottoms out but am being very cautious. BTC has also taken a few other blows with Overstock.com phasing it out, the transaction fees have increased and the length of time it takes to make a transaction increasing to hours in some cases.

3. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    Yeah, I just don't know, really. I've always been skeptical of bitcoin, simply because it just seems too sketchy, and the last few weeks have kind of proven my point

Not that it hasn't recovered before. IIRC there was a 'hack' or some massive drop a few years back? Don't remember the specifics. I just think that the world is starting to see this as the fad that it is, and wake up to the dangers of it.

4. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    Cryptocurrency in general can be used for sketchy purposes which has given it a reputation that it has failed to shake. There are a lot of Criminals who love Cryptocurrency as it is anonymous.

5. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    Even more bad news it seems

Not looking good at all

6. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    Agreed, I dont have a lot of Cryto but I have enough to have lost ~$200 in the past day

7. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there