Chrome VS.....

Discussion in 'Free and Open Source Software' started by twhiting9275, Feb 23, 2018.

1. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    Ok, I'm fed up with Chrome and fighting it continually. Time for a switch I think...

I've been working with Chrome since Chrome. Why? It's always been lightweight, had minimal issues, and it seems to just work (kind of).... That is, until you move into the development realm, where things start to get ugly. Case in point, the attached

Example A shows how the site should look. All pretty and paginated, and datatables. It looks beautiful in Firefox, Edge, even IE

Example B shows how Google Chrome interprets the site, with the usual JS garbage. For whatever reason, Chrome insists on handling things differently , ignoring development work done, causing far more frustration than necessary.

I'm seriously considering Firefox again (moved to Chrome from it a few years back), just because this issue just doesn't seem to come up... That and, hey, I can see who actually issued a cert, very easily (not so in Chrome)

Attached Files:

2. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    I have personally been doing a lot of development work on ChromiumOS, including spinning up my own custom nightly builds, and can say that Google's way of handling some things is simply baffling. Chrome likes to push itself as a trail blazer when it comes to implementing the latest draft specifications rather than focusing on ensuring the accepted specifications are being given the same level of detail.

Chromium seems to be a bit less of a mess than Chrome so I would give that a try as it offers most of the same benefits as Chrome without all of the mess.

Firefox is a great browser and just works in most cases. I am not a fan of their rapid release cycle but they do have "ESR" builds that are not updated as often yet are very secure and work with all standards at the time of release.

3. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    hmm, I'll have to give that a shot.
    I'm assuming it can run the same extensions Chrome can?
    Firefox is good, and I'm getting used to it, but it's a bit frustrating in some areas

4. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    Most of them yes - There are a tiny number of them that may not work properly