[Contest] - Win a Raspberry Pi Zero W for Pi Day

Discussion in 'Technical.chat Contests' started by KMyers, Jan 31, 2018.

1. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    #1 KMyers, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    [​IMG]
    March 14th is commonly known as Pi Day around the internet. As such Technical.chat is hosting a contest where the winner will win a CanaKit Raspberry Pi Zero W. This kit includes everything you would need to get started using a Pi Zero W which includes:
    • A Raspberry Pi Zero W
    • All Cables and Adapters
    • A 16 GB MicroSD Card that has been pre-loaded with NOOBS
    • A Case
    • And more
    In case you don't know, the "W" implies that it has both WiFi and Bluetooth built right in.

To enter this contest - you simply need to write a response below to answer the following question.

If I had a Pi Zero W, I would make : _____________________________________________-

Make sure you are as detailed as possible.

The winner will be chosen based on whichever post has the most number of Likes so feel free to share your post around and get friends/family/The Pope to like your post. The winner will be selected at Midnight on March 14th, 2018 and be contacted to arrange shipment.

This contest was sponsored by Technical.chat

So, what will you make?

2. Nick Moline

Nick Moline New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    #2 Nick Moline, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Well there's so many things I'd love to make with a Raspberry Pi Zero W. Of course there's the ubiquitous Retropie, but that's rather simplistic.

I'd love to make something akin to the Magic Mirror that can automatically display my agenda and other notifications on a 1 way mirror. But at the end of the day, what Engineering Team Breakroom would be complete without the Mocktails Mixer.

Google showed off the Mocktails Mixer at Google I/O last year as a demonstration of using the Google Assistant SDK to build your own devices. Building a robot that can make mixed drinks for my team, that sounds like a win to me.

3. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
  4. Nick Moline

Nick Moline New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    Which one? the Mirror, retro game system or robot bartender?

5. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    The Mirror

6. Nick Moline

Nick Moline New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    The mirror is awesome, I first heard about that project when I saw a demo of it at an intel party last year, apparently, it has been around for a while and it just never hit my radar. It is a great way for at-a-glance information. The one I saw had a camera with facial recognition software for multi-user support, so if my wife walks up to the mirror it will show her calendar and information, but if I walk up to the mirror it will show mine, and if a stranger walks up to the mirror, it will show general information.

I've been fascinated with the idea ever since.

7. Judd

Judd New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Office Aquarium and Plant monitoring system so you can take vacations for at least 1 month at a time and still check on your plants.

Using GPIO pins and camera you could:
    • Automatically feed fish 1-2 times / day, using either a rotary or corkscrew mechanism, possibly modifying an off-the-shelf product
    • Water your plants on time every day from a large reservoir ( solenoid gravity fed, or pump, with aquarium tubing, reservoir could be a large storage bin)
    • Camera monitoring system, to check from web, and you could use OpenCV to do a frame difference to see if your plants are wilting.

twhiting9275 and KMyers like this.
  8. Judd

Judd New Member

Feb 1, 2018
  9. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    Why does this not shock me - definitely something I can see you doing.... I may need to print one myself actually

10. Judd

Judd New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Bonus points for making it so that you can slip in a real cassette and have the spindles move it.. could probably get the parts from a thrift store easy..

11. ivoriesablaze

ivoriesablaze New Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Male
    #11 ivoriesablaze, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Hm... How about a mobile computer that all you have to do is plug it into a monitor and attach a keyboard and mouse... oh, wait, it's already that... Perhaps connecting it to my drawing tablet to make it wireless. I can then connect it to a computer using either the wifi or bluetooth... like a kind of remote control that's still pressure sensitive.

12. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    I am not saying that it is impossible to do this but it is a bit complicated as it would require writing custom drivers - that may be fun to learn

13. Judd

Judd New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    http://usbip.sourceforge.net maybe

14. ivoriesablaze

ivoriesablaze New Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Male
    Hmmm... that's actually part of it. I want to be able to use the bluetooth as well in case there's no reliable network around.

15. Nick Moline

Nick Moline New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    This is a bit of a neat idea, I like the idea of functional devices that look like older devices. Question though, would you make it full sized or would you make it smaller and just look like a walkman?