Did Russia 'hack' the 2016 U.S. election? What do you think?

Discussion in 'Tech in Politics' started by twhiting9275, Jan 21, 2018.

1. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    Politics is an evil, evil beast. When you add tech into it, well, let's just say it becomes more evil than you can imagine. The question at hand (without looking at the actual candidates):

More importantly, if they did... How?
    My own 0.02 here:

I don't think they specifically hacked the election, though I wouldn't be surprised if they contributed certain things towards the outcome of the election. Deliberately? Maybe. Inadvertently? Probably not

I wouldn't put a disinformation campaign past Russia, through social media, et all. Then again, we've done the same, so are we any better? So what if Russia blasted Facebook, twitter, blog posts with 'fake news'? The MSM does this all the time, every day and nobody's pulling them in front of Congress, or The Senate.

2. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    Honestly this is a bit more complicated then the media would allow their audience to believe. I do believe there was some unsavory behavior with the president but I do not feel there is any evidence to show they directly hacked the elections.

Many media sites/stations reported that Hillary Clinton would win this election in a landslide - I feel this did more damage than good to the Clinton campaign as it sent a message that many interpreted as a sign that they dont need to go vote as their candidate was guaranteed the win. I dont see how Russia or any other foreign media could have caused this.

3. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    You're totally right. She had quite a bit going against her to begin with, what with hacking scandals, her use of private email servers, the foundation stuff... FBI. Really, she never had a strong chance (IMO), but that's a whole different story altogether.