Do you own a SmartWatch?

Discussion in 'Wearable Tech' started by KMyers, Dec 29, 2017.

?

Do you own a SmartWatch?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Not yet but am looking

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No and no plans on getting one in the future

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    I have owned countless SmartWatches over the past 10+ years and was wondering how many of you also own SmartWatches? If so, which one?

2. cyansmoker

cyansmoker New Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Male
    I've owned every single Sony smartwatch (including the old hybrid one with its fading orange display) and they all kinda sucked (bought the last one @ Miami/XDA event)
    Got a Moto 360 1st gen, then a LG Urbane and a Huawei 1st gen. I even considered the Tag Heuer. Instead, as good gateway drugs do, I ended up being sucked into the world of "dumb watches" and now I am all about what you cannot see (thermo compensation, high frequency balance, etc.)

3. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    I too have owned several Sony Watches including the old one you mentioned (with the horrible charging connector). I am currently sporting the LG Watch Sport and would gladly abandon it for the Samsung S3 if my password manager of choice supported it.

4. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    I was diagnosed about 2 years ago w/ diabetes. This got me off my ass and actually looking for some sort of 'wearable' tech to motivate me. Still looking for the 'perfect' solution, but so far Apple's got it almost dialed in.

Started with a Fitbit Charge HR. That thing was decent, but Fitbit's got problems. Lasted me about a year
    Moved on to a Fitbit Blaze towards the first of last year. It was decent again, but, still Fitbit has issues
    Upgraded to the Apple Watch 3 in October, and while it's still got issues, it's something that I can live with.

While I originally purchased my wearable tech for motivation, fitness tracking , etc, it's amazing how far this tech has come . I took a couple of trips in October / November, and didn't even have to bother with paper tickets (haven't done paper in years), or my phone. QR code showed up on the watch, scan @ boarding, and boom, I'm good.. These devices are just awesome.

KMyers likes this.
  5. Nick Moline

Nick Moline New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    I currently have a second generation Moto 360, (before this I had the first generation). I'd really like to update to a newer one, but holding off for price reasons.

6. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    You may want to look at the Fossil ones. The prices are reasonable and they work very well.

7. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    I have to agree, price on wearable tech is just freaking insane. It's just bad...
    Says the guy who paid $350 for a stupid smartwatch from Apple

8. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    I have 2 high end smartwatches that ran $350+ each (LG Watch Sport and Samsung Gear S3 Frontier) - I actually find them useful so I have no issue with the cost personally.

9. Nick Moline

Nick Moline New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    I don't really mind spending good money for a good product. My problem is that while a good phone can be expected to last at least 2 years, a watch, even a watch considered top-of-the-line really can't. My Moto 360 is less than a year old and it feels incredibly slow, crashes a lot, and is starting to look poor thanks to the higher number of scuffs compared to a phone.

10. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    Well, to be completely honest, it's all about quality. That's one of the reasons I have zero problems spending the $$$ on Apple products. The quality is there.

I often tell this story just to show how durable and steadfast they are, but it's true, 100%

Quite a few years back (2012), I was upgrading my iPhone to a 5 (just released, all that), and gave my nieces my old one. I had no need for it at the time, I figured why the hell not? They were 5 and 6 at the time (IIRC).

I went back there over Halloween last year, and these girls still had this phone, were still using it every day, and just loved it still. Obviously it wasn't as 'up to date' as it could be, but the fact that this phone withstood that much abuse from kids, yeah, that says a hell of a lot about the phone itself, and the manufacturing they do.

Of course, they had it protected (case, screen protector, yadda yadda), but damn... talk about impressive.

11. Nick Moline

Nick Moline New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    Some Android phones are pretty sturdy as well, My Pixel XL has been going strong since the day I got it with not a sign of any damage, and I don't even have a screen protector on it, but when you put a small device on your wrist, you are going to be more brutal with it (at least I am).

The leather watchband is cracking after all this time, there are scratches on the face (as I tend to bang my wrist against things a lot... I'm clumsy)

12. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    Same here, I have hit my watches on just about every door jam in the house at least a dozen times. I did however invest in a Termered Glass screen protector for all of my watches so the screens are often in great shape to keep their resale value