Franz is your friend!

Discussion in 'Free and Open Source Software' started by twhiting9275, Jan 10, 2018.

1. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    Who here remembers Trillian? Back in the day, there was this awesome app that could connect everything (and I mean, everything). ICQ, AIM, Yahoo, Messenger, Skype, Jabber, you name it. While it was good, development suddenly just stopped (probably because the use of those apps pretty much died down).

I ran across an app, named Franz a couple months back that attempts to do the same, except for the age that we're living in (face it, ICQ, AIM, etc are pretty much dead). You can use this little gem to connect to (almost) everything... I'm currently using it for

• Slack
    • Hipchat
    • Stride
    • Tawk.to
    • LinkedIn
    • Pushbullet
    • Twitch
    • Telegram
    • Messenger

And that's just the beginning. I'm just getting started with this app, and adding more services daily, as I find that this app supports them (just added my Linkedin connection today)

This app is a times aver, at least for me. If you use any of the above services, well, you owe it to yourself to give Franz a shot. This app is beyond awesome!

Note:
    I am not affiliated in any way with Franz, or paid to make the above statement. Hell, I typically stay away from posting things that look like 'ads', but I just love sharing this product everywhere I can :)

2. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    I have actually tested this out in the past and liked it. I really wish they had an Android version as well - or even better, a self hosted Web App as I like to self-host things

3. lakridserne

lakridserne New Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Male
    Agreed, Trillian was really great, maybe I should give Franz a try.

4. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    they don't have anything for mobile devices yet, which sucks, but the Windows app is still just awesome.

Yeah, Trillian was one of my go to apps back in the day. Something about managing everything from one location, without native apps being installed. I was delighted to see Franz when I ran across it a couple months ago.

5. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    As is the Linux application. I would really like to see a Android and even ChromeOS version in the future. I have been using ChromeOS more and more lately for non-development work.

6. Franco

Franco New Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Male
    Downloading this now, looks awesome! Great post :)

KMyers likes this.
  7. Nick Moline

Nick Moline New Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    Several members of my team have been swearing by it too, unfortunately I'm not a fan of the version of hangouts it implements, I much prefer the chrome extension for hangouts, and since that's my #1 chat app, and my #2 these days is Slack (which already has its own rather awesome native app) I have little use for it.

By the way, since the Windows and Linux versions were mentioned here, I can vouch for the OSX version, it works equally great on OSX and Windows.

twhiting9275 likes this.
  8. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    Not everyone's going to like it, but if you're like me with skype, facebook, hipchat, stride, slack, telegram, and just everything else out there (I maintain a WHMCS module that ties all those in, so it's kind of necessary), it is a hell of a decent application . No more need for dozens of native apps, just use one.

Plus, this is an excellent way to put two skype accounts (if you have, say personal and business) on the same PC / device.

I haven't gotten around to testing the OSX version, keep meaning to, but my Mac is pretty much just a paperweight at this point :)

9. Mrgeekchris

Mrgeekchris New Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Male
    Tech support
    Cedar Rapids
    I'm going to have to give that a try this might come in handy.

twhiting9275 likes this.