Tablet choice

Discussion in 'Tablets and Ultra Portables' started by lakridserne, Jan 13, 2018.

1. lakridserne

lakridserne New Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Male
    Hi all,

So I was looking for a tablet for an organisation I'm a volunteer for. I have found 3 different, and now I'm trying to figure out which one is best.

They're all below here:

DanCell Cubic Ultimate Tablet
    Found on https://www.wupti.com/produkter/computer-og-it/tablet/android-tablet/dancell-cubic-ultimate-tablet

Asus ZenPad 3s 9,7" 32GB WiFi Grey
    Found on https://www.komplett.dk/product/904...ere/tablets/asus-zenpad-3s-97-32gb-wifi-graa#

And Lenovo Tablet 4 Plus X704F 64GB White
    Found on https://www.komplett.dk/product/953...tablets/lenovo-tablet-4-plus-x704f-64gb-hvid#

Thanks in advance.

2. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    Based on the 3 Models you posted, The Lenovo would personally be the one I would choose. The screen on the DanCell is the sharpest however they dont state the Android Version and some of the other specifications are a mystery. The Lenovo also has a USB Type C Port which opens up several other possibilities.

3. lakridserne

lakridserne New Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Male
    Thank you so much. Are there any obvious tablets I've missed (in about the price range they're in)?

4. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    That would ultimately depend on what you intend to use the tablet for. I own several tablets including the Amazon Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Pixel C and each has a purpose.

5. lakridserne

lakridserne New Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Male
    I intend to use it for playing with LEGO Boost and similar stuff.

I saw that they have for example also tested that Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" works with it.

https://www.elgiganten.dk/product/p...K32/samsung-galaxy-tab-a-10-1-wifi-32-gb-sort

6. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    Most Samsung tablets are pretty good as well - the problem with them I find is that Samsung does a pretty poor job of delivering updates to the tablet however this is sadly the trend with many Android Tablet manufacturers., The Lenovo one does run a semi-vanilla build of Android should it should perform better IMHO.

7. lakridserne

lakridserne New Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Male
    Then I think I'll go with the Lenovo - I prefer as close to vanilla Android as possible.

8. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    :crys: I really wish Google would release a 2018 Nexus 7. It was a great tablet with a great pricetag

9. lakridserne

lakridserne New Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Male
    Yes, the Nexus series was amazing.

10. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    Looking here seems to clear some of that mystery up, and make that even uglier
    • Android 5.1 (Lollipop)
    • Windows 10
    • Dualboot system
    Were it me, I'd avoid either Android or Windows, myself and stick with the tried and true Apple.
    if you've got to go with Android, get something from a provider that's known to update their OS . Samesung's been pulling this game for years where they'll leave you on an OS that's years out of date. Hell, my Samesung A6 (purchased early 2016) is still on Lollipop.

It really is embarrassing the state of updates from these device manufacturers. At least with Apple, I can count on a few good years of quality updates. Not so with Samesung, or most Android manufacturers

11. lakridserne

lakridserne New Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Male
    Thanks for the reply. You'll not get me to switch to Apple. Like Keith, I prefer Android.

12. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    Eww.. Android/Windows Dual boot devices are always a hack and a half mess. I did purchase device that did this a few months ago to use in a kiosk. I was able to successfully remove the Android/Windows setup and put Ubuntu on it which worked out perfectly for my project.

13. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    Hey, if you're cool with being years out of date, have fun :)

The only reason i'd look at an Android device is if the OS was actually up to date. I do this fully knowing that the manufacturer is never going to update the OS, ever. This isn't my first rodeo with Android devices.

I can only imagine the mess that these would end up being, damn

14. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    That is actually a non-issue in many cases as Google has offloaded most of the important things into the Google Play Services framework which gets updates every 1-3 weeks. This includes most of the security features - This is the case going back to Android 4.4 which is still getting these updates to this day. Of couse there are some core updates that some devices wont get.

15. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    Core updates, such as, you know, OS updates :)

16. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    :rolleyes: True but most people will never know the difference between Android 6, 6.1 and 7.0.

17. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    Most people, yes.... However, 5.x and 6.x is pretty decent, from what I hear, especially with storage related issues.

18. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    Yes. 7.0 officially added multiple Window Support, Vulcan Support and HDR support - the latter of the 2 require comparable hardware that only recently started shipping in the past 2 years - most of these devices were updated to 7.0 pretty quickly.

Multiple Window support has technically been a thing going back to 6.0 but not enabled by default. A few flags would allow the experimental support. I personally dont use this much on my devices which all run 7.1.

Android 8.0 has some under the hood changes but the one I am personally excited about is the Autofill API which lets password managers blend in seamlessly with Android

<android_fanboy_mode=off>
    sorry about that

19. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    Yeah, my major concern and the reason I've been trying to find a 6.x device lately is because of memory card stuff. I hate, hate, hate how Android handles this by default, and with the opportunity to actually format a card as 'internal memory' with 6, this should (in theory) solve this.

The problem is that Android is just far too ugly when it comes to storage and memory. 6 should (in theory) solve that, but it's almost impossible to find out what device has what version of Android.