Why is desktop gaming 'better' than console gaming?

Discussion in 'Desktop Gaming' started by twhiting9275, Jan 30, 2018.

1. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    Not trying to start a war here, but I swear, everyone and their monkey (brother) is trying to come down with this 'Desktop gaming is way better' argument, and I just don't freaking buy it. Help me understand here, please!

Hardware:
    With the Xbox One X, you can't get a better deal for hardware. Seriously. a 1TB drive, 12 gigs of ram, a monster GPU, 4k and HDR out of the box. This thing can't be beat if you look at the hardware / price specs.

Convenience:
    For me, personally, I want to play with a controller. I've got steam link setup (for the few steam games I have), and even then, it's all about controller.

Distractions:
    I'm all about few distractions while I'm gaming. I work damn near 24x7 and would so much rather not have crap popping in on my game. So the PC is just not an option there.

Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm an odd duck (quack), but I just don't get the 'pc master race' garbage, seriously.

2. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Male
    South Florida
    Personally for me, it all depends on the mood I am in. I dont have the time to play as many games as I used to.

I only own 2 consoles - the Nintendo Switch and the SNES Classic (I do technically have a full size SNES and NES in a closet). I really only use my consoles from time to time to play Zelda.

My PC Gaming setup is actually a bit overkill for the game I play (Starcraft/Starcraft2). I am sporting a Quad Core i7 rig and even have a Rift attached for good measure.

3. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    For something like Blizzard games, yeah, you need a PC. Even macs won’t work there. I still fond the setup a. It odd though.

I deliberately have the office outside of the living room (turned a second room into an office) so that the two don’t coincide. More productive that way :) .

4. ivoriesablaze

ivoriesablaze New Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Male
    I say "PC Masterrace" just to have fun in an argument that, honestly, is a meaningless one. It honestly depends on your preferences. I prefer desktop simply because it can be used for more than gaming. I'm all about utility. It plays games? Awesome. It can also do video editing? Even better. I also like modding my games, but that's becoming less and less a factor in the differences between desktop and console because of what Bethesda did with Fallout 4. For people that just want to play games and do nothing else with the hardware, then consoles are definitely the way to go. It's really all about preference. Don't let anyone tell you one is better than the other, it's frankly not true.

5. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Internet Extraordinaire
    Somewhere, out there
    Haha, Fallout 4 got screwed on PS4 systems, but yeah, modding really isn’t a factor any more.