Why is FOSS important to you?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Judd, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Judd

Judd New Member

Feb 1, 2018
    I thought this would be a good question to ask the general community. I'd like to know your opinion on free and open source software!

I'd like to see what everyone has to say about the subject and why its important to them, what it means to have open source software, even make a discernment of the different licenses if wished!

I can expand on my own post later but for me..

I didn't really make too much of a fuss over free vs open source until recently. At the very start, I just thought an alternative operating system was cool. More recently I'd been more interested in the implications of free software as it pertains to the rest of the world. I may never have picked up 3D modeling if it weren't for Blender, and I may never have become a programmer if it hadn't been for open source compilers.

While I've never been all that averse to for-pay options, like Visual Studio, or Maya, and even see the value in them- I can't deny that sometimes I've gone the more difficult route either out of principle, or compatibility.
  2. KMyers

KMyers Administrator
    Staff Member

Dec 28, 2017
    South Florida
    I personally prefer to use Free and Open Source Software whenever possible but I am not the type of person who snubs his nose on proprietary software when it is the best tool for the job. I know several people who will always insist on software under the GPL which is so persuasive that it requires all derivatives to also exist under the GPL - which is a blessing to Free Software Enthusiasts but at the same time may limit its use in some areas.

If you have listened to Richard Stallman speak, he will lecture that using non-free software is a ethical problem as it removes the concept of "ownership" from the end-user as they should be able to do anything they wish with the software once purchased - much like you can do if you buy a pencil,
  3. Adam Outler

Adam Outler New Member

Dec 29, 2017
    My copy of Windows ME stop booting, and a buddy of mine gave me a thumb drive with Linux on it. I booted up my computer, and copied all my files off of that version of Windows. I was left with a choice, buy a new copy of windows, and hope it doesn't crash out again or use Linux. I started using Linux after that.

I found the more that I got into Linux, the more I liked it, because it gave me control. If I wanted to know how the operating system worked, I could go in and find out more about how it worked, and then modify it if I wanted to.

It's this level of control, that I really appreciate about Linux. If something is broken or doesn't exist, you don't have to file a bug report and hope and pray with your fingers crossed that someone goes and fixes the problem that you reported. You can go and do it yourself! This is the thing about free software that is most cited, and is the primary reason that I appreciate foss.